Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A 3-Day weekend is better than 2!

There were lot's of things going on over the Labor Day weekend and plenty of stuff to update with. Friday was our high school's first football game of the season. It was a home game and had a barbeque dinner preceeding it. The food was good and the game was a blowout win for us. We were up by more than 50 points by halftime! Needless to say that lots of freshman got some playing time in the second half. In a small town like Socorro, football is a big deal and everyone comes out to support the team.

This weekend was also our county fair and on Saturday we were on our main street watching the parade while Emma collected a bunch of candy. Afterward we went up to the fairgrounds and let Emma see all of the livestock and we had a great lunch. Things like fairs have become one of my favorite places to eat! I love getting fresh roasted corn, fresh squeezed lemonade, turkey legs, brisket, and fry bread. I was just about done with a navajo taco when I remembered I was going to run a race on Sunday and I shouldn't be eating fried food like that. Oh well, I'm Mexican and I'm pretty sure my engine works just fine on grease:)

The race I did on Sunday was a half marathon in Albuquerque. I finished ok and I was glad I did it but my times are not where they used to be just a few years ago. It's tough not being able to race as fast as I used to but I also suppose that priorities have changed and I'm still in pretty good shape overall. My time was 1:42 which means I averaged 7:47 per mile. I feel like I had a good 8 miles of hard running in me but I really struggled from miles 9 through 13. I ended up 31st overall and 7th in my age group. Next up is a triathlon at the end of the month.



Since we were in Albuqueruqe we took advantage of it and visited the zoo. The Rio Grande Zoo is one of the best zoo's I've been to. They have even added many new exhiibits just from last year. Emma and Lindsey even got to feed the giraffe's. I wish we had pictures but we had forgotten the camera.

And on Monday, Lindsey and I both used it to get a little ahead on things. Lindsey with her masters degree and I with classroom stuff. Well, I hope you all enjoyed the weekend as much as we did. Have a great (short) week and thanks for looking.

Steven

2 comments:

Dawn Hudson said...

I am glad your tummy did well even after eating all your fatty foods! Good luck on your team race this weekend. Lindsey said she would call me and tell me all the details but I would like to read them from your point of view as well.

Tony said...

Dude, Mexicans eat bean burritos with carnitas, not turkey legs.

What race are u doing next?