Wednesday, July 22, 2009

XC practice is in full swing as we started on July 1st. We have been building up our milage each week and will accumulate more than 30 miles of running this week. We have a XC camp in Red River, NM, on August 6, 7, and 8th with two other high school teams. The official start of the season is in August and our first meet will be the first weekend in September. Our team has grown and is getting better and better. Hopefully this is the year that we can take both the boys and girls teams to state. We're definitely going to look good as we received our new Nike uniforms last week. No more bad news bears!

I have been running with the kids and it has greatly helped my running. Since using my Garmin GPS watch, I have been able to monitor my workouts and have seen the trend of faster runs with lower heart rates. Back in June most of my training runs were near 8 minute per mile pace and they have decreased down to as fast as 7 minute mile pace. For the month of June I have the most runs in any month of the year with 21 and the most run milage with 85 and I still have a week left.

2 comments:

Brian Borchers said...

It's a challenge to keep up with these kids- I ran with the girls on Wednesday morning and we were doing 8 minute miles for the three miles that we did. For me, that's faster than my regular run pace and approaching the pace (7:40 or so) of my tempo runs. Most of the girls have just started running, so I expect that they'll improve fast. I know that I can't run that pace every day of the week...

I think that the girls would benefit more from extending their distance a bit and slowing down or keeping about the same pace then trying to keep up with the boys. I'm also afraid that you'll scare some of them off if the pace gets to be too fast- the four of them were really strung out on Wednesday morning.

Tony said...

Nice, you got the Garmin watch. We should compare data. BTW, I started up my blog again finally.