Thursday, January 27, 2011

Letting yourself get out of shape is like a credit card... It's lots of fun until you get the bill.

It was fun and I really took advantage of my post Ironman glory. I ate lots of Ben & Jerry ice cream and basically let the cold winter start while I was warm inside. No morning workouts, no evening workouts, no workouts period. Well, the bill came (it's actually been here for a while but I have ignored it as long as I could) and it's time to pay up. I have penciled out a racing season and it's starting up in the not too distant future. The first "race" will be a 10k on February 13th. I do not predict any PR race times for this one but I will strive to finish respectably. For several months all the races I have planned are running races as I feel putting in the running miles will help jump start my biking and swim training. It looks like the first triathlon will be in May and I know it will be competitive and fast so I need to get some consistency back in my training now. Currently my training plan is simply that, "consistency." I will do what I feel like doing but I can't be skipping days because it can get to be a bad habit and get me into that cycle of not feeling like I'm getting anywhere. After a good dose of that I can start to work in some quality workouts with more precise objectives. But for now it's Operation: Get My Ass Out The Door.

2 comments:

Brian Borchers said...

Hey, me too. It didn't help that I spent three months eating at restaurants (and breathing all of the easily available oxygen) in Los Angeles. Then when I got back the Tech pool was closed! I'm back to running three or four days a week and doing six yoga classes a week...

Steven Montoya said...

Consistency is the big part of endurance success, Brian. Sure there are other details to optimize and fine tune performance but getting out the door and working everyday is the best thing you can do IMO. You'll be back to your old self within a few weeks. The pool is back to normal hours BTW.