Sunday, March 06, 2011

I'm having a difficult time doing anything this afternoon. I'm just sitting on the couch and I can hear the wind through the fireplace insert. Spring temperatures tease us for a few days but it seems that winter isn't ready to let go just yet.

This morning I ran the farthest I have since October when I did Ironman. I just thought about it and holy moly... that was nearly 5 months ago! Where does time go?

So I met 3 kids this morning and we set out on our long run. Instead of running the "10 mile loop" we had been consistently finishing we decided to make up a new loop to the southsteast of Socorro. I had an idea of where we should go but I had't run out there in more than 9 years. I didn't have my GPS but one of the kids had a Nike+ which reported the loop as 12.5 miles and I felt great the entire way.

This one boy in particular has been doing a great job this school year as far as working hard and getting better. Yesterday, at the first meet of the year he ran a 12 second PR in the mile and is oh so close to breaking 5 minutes, a goal he has had now for a while. It's great to be a part of it all and I am looking forward to him breaking it just as much as he is. Running is such a tough sport and not many young kids are willing to accept the work required to be a successful distance runner.

This level of committment has been on my mind a lot lately. Partly because attendance at the Sunday morning long run has been dismal at best and also because of budget cuts and rumors I have heard lately regarding possible cuts to athletics. In the past 3 years that XC has been in existence at SHS we have grown and improved each and every year. Great stuff, I know, but... how good do my kids want to be? Are they satisfied with 7th and 9th at State? I'm not.

It is difficult not to take rumors to heart because I truly love coaching XC. I hate to hear that a kid of mine is considering playing football instead of running or even worse that another coach is trying to sway their choice. I hate when a kid with talent doesn't want to be the best they can be. I can't stand to hear that budget cuts may effect XC which is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard of to save money. WE ONLY COST GAS MONEY AND A BUS DRIVER for 8 trips! This stuff just eats at me. I'm not very good at letting things go either.

I don't know how long I will coach at SHS or how long I intend to coach, period. But I will never turn my back to kids that want to improve and be the best they can be. I had a conversation with Lindsey the other day about how important I think it is for every kid to try something where they give their all, 100% dedication. Sport allows them to do this, to work, to improve, to chase a goal and to achieve and set a higher goal. I see too many kids that only go just enough in every aspect. They do just enough in the classroom, just enough in sport and I assume they will never know how to give their all when it will be required. I teach and I'm a coach and I am not satisfied with that. I want to change lives for the better.

So as long as I have kids that are there eager to meet me, I will be there eager to meet them.

Fortitudine Vincimus

1 comment:

Brian Borchers said...

Steve; Don't get burned out!

There are lot of people in town who are very pleased and impressed by what you've done with the kids in cross country.