Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Socorro Chile Harvest Triathlon

The hometown race, the one that started it all, the 10th annual Socorro triathlon was held this past weekend. What an awwesome and unique race and in my opinion the very best in New Mexico. To back this up it has been sold out for over a month with 390 participants.

The race itself went great and I set a PR for myself with a 1:00:28 finish which was good enough for 5th overall and 1st in the 25-29 year old age category. My swim was ranked 7th overall fastest and my bike was 3rd overall fastest. My run left some to be desired, especially with all the hard work I put in during July. Oh well, it's tough putting together a solid race where all three disciplines click. I had fun and that's exactly why I am still gun-ho about triathlons after 10 straight years. Next up for me is a the NM state mountain bike championships in a week and a half. The race will be here in Las Cruces and I know the course pretty well. I don't consider myself a mountain biker but I am curious to see what I can do in the dirt. In October I will do a 100km mountain bike race in Juarez, Mexico, and the last big thing will be the SOMA 1/2 ironman triathlon in Tempe, AZ, at the end of October.

By the way, the Chile Harvest was won overall by my brother Mike. He is 2 for 2 this year so far. My best buddy, Danny, was second overall. It would have been nice to be third overall and be on the podium with the two of them but it just didn't work out (I was in third starting the run). Here is a link to the Socorro newspaper and a great Jerry Springer style story.

http://www.dchieftain.com/sports/63909-08-16-06.html

And another great article in a different newspaper.

http://www.mymountainmail.com/stories/spotriathlon08-17-0620060817.php



No comments: