Monday, December 24, 2007

Matanza


Speaking of Holiday traditions new and old, Mike decided to keep up with a tradition we hadn't done since 2001, a matanza, or the killing of a pig. He found a 400+ pound, grain-fed pig and invited the family to the backyard at my mom's. The weather was cold and it made the experience even better. After all was said and done we counted over 60 adults throughout the day. The men stayed outside (my mom even thought of a porta-pottie) and butchered the pig, cooked different dishes like carne adovada, sang and visited while the women stayed inside and fixed deserts and bagged all the meat. This was one of those things that really brings you back home and helps you remember where you came from. My Dad's brother, Abel drove down from Albuquerque with his guitar and a picture from the last matanza in 2001. The picture was of my Dad standing and stirring the chicharones. Even though he wasn't there now, he really was. He loved that stuff, especially his family. He did everything he could for them and made sure they were ok and taken care of before himself. My Dad, Socorro, my family, really remind me of what it's all about. Thanks to Mike for doing this whole thing (my check for helping with the expenses is in the mail :) it was really special.
I recently heard someone comment about how Socorro has nothing to do.......my response to that, "what more do you need?"


No comments: