Sunday, September 06, 2009

Alamogordo Invitational

XC Season has started! Here are some pics from this past Saturday's race in Alamogordo. Notice the new uniforms that are not borrowed from track like last year. Another big thing is different this year is that I actually have a girls team. There are 6 of them there but I have 10 girls total and 18 boys. The girls ran well enough to take 3rd ahead of some much larger schools like Alamogordo, Onate, LCHS, Artesia, Silver City, Gadsden, and most importantly the perennial district champs, Cobre.

The boys finished 8th out of the 11 school represented. It is definitely an improvement from last year when we were last. The boys also defeated district rival Cobre despite not being at full strength. Of our top 5 boys, two were absent, one was sick and one didn't tell me he had an ankle injury. The trickiest part of coaching XC is having 5 runners healthy and running their best at the same time in one race. That one race will be our district championships on October 30.

We will continue to work and get stronger. I love it!



4 comments:

Brian Borchers said...

Good job!

Have you told the local newspapers?

Results are posted at

http://www.directathletics.com/results/xc/2352.html

Steven Montoya said...

Yeah, Nat Holland came by our practice this morning for an interview and story for the Stampede.

Tony said...

Good Job coach Steven!!

Lindsey said...

I wish I could have been there with you and to see your victory over my native Alamogordo. Good Job! I am really proud of you for what you have brought to Socorro. To see how the team has grown from just one season-I wish my dad were here to share this with you, I know he would be proud. I love you.