Friday, March 21, 2008

SPRING FEVER

Today is the start of spring break here in Socorro and we had a great start to it. Yesterday, we had our first track meet in Belen and our kids did really well. We were proud of many of them for the way they performed. I look forward to seeing them continue to work and improve this season and beyond. Being a teacher is sometimes (a lot of times) difficult; We deal with many issues that are simply not in our control. We do our best and for whatever reason, there are some things we cannot change. I know we make a difference in the classroom, but I feel I do more for the kids I coach and interact with in that atmosphere than I do for the ones that are just students. I really enjoyed talking with some of our kids last night and encouraging them as many of them were nervous. One eighth grade girl even ran so hard and gave everything she had that she just burst into tears upon finishing a very gutsy 800. She's normally a pretty shy girl in class, never one to be the loudest or neediest. But oh man, watching her run she made a very loud exclamation that she is much more than just a "girl". I never saw Lindsey run although we were at several of the same track meets, but I think she would have reminded me alot of her.

Today is also Good Fiday, a day that many people celebrate with a sacrafice or a pilgrimage. Lindsey and I knew we were going to run from the church in Socorro to the church in Polvadera, 12 miles away, for a while now as it has become an annual thing for us. But we were more than happy to have 2 of our runners join us for the jog. It made the sacrafice even more meaningful as one of the boys mothers is in Albuquerque today receiving chemotherapy. I know his mother as she is a teacher and Socorro is the type of place where you know everybody. He made a comment about how it sucked that she was spending the day with an IV in her arm and he knew she would be sick for the days that followed. I thought of her, I thought of Lindsey and I, and I thought of my Dad. I really miss him and wish I had more time with him as I have a lot to ask him and show him. Ah well, I enjoyed the conversation I had with the kids too as they are always full of questions. I am not sure whether I impressed them or freaked them out when I told them that I peed once while running (literally while running) in a triathlon because I didn't want to stop and get passed. Also, once when one boy was hurting, we could hear them talking to each other and listen to one encourage the other and even change the subject by asking if he would rather be eaten by a shark or a tiger. They are kids :)

The afternoon has been spent lying around watching basketball, a princess movie, napping, and ebay. The weather is 75 degrees and it's not windy. I couldn't ask for anything better. I hope all the people in my life are having a wonderful start to thier holiday too.

Steven

No comments: