Sunday, January 18, 2009

This little picture sums it all up for me.  I started the new year like so many people, full of steam, only to break and wind up doing more sleeping in than working out.  Even right now, it is almost 11:00 on Sunday morning and I am on the computer when I should be finishing a run.  

I did however, read the newspaper and made pancakes for everyone.  I can hear Lindsey and Emma now and I think they are getting ready for something, I know Emma wanted to go on a picnic today.  What do I do?

Although I know this, it is hard to follow.... get up early and get the work done before anyone wakes up and before the day starts.  I try to look for inspiration from a friend of mine, Matthew Napier.  Matt has an engineering job, a family of 5, and he is a badass triathlete.  In fact, he recently qualified for the Ironman World Championships in Hawaii which will be his second trip there.  Matt recently told me how if he doesn't finish working out by 8 in the morning he probably doesn't work out because of other commitments. Waking up in the middle of the night to get in a trainer ride with a brick run is not uncommon for him.  The schedule Matt keeps may seem extreme, but so are his results.  Proof that if you want something bad enough you will make sacrifices and do what it takes to get you there.

I am also very fortunate that I can look to my older brother Mike for inspiration and a little bit of competitiveness.  He too has been to Hawaii twice for the World Championships.  Any triathlon he enters he is a favorite.  Mike however has been known not to start a workout until 8.....PM!  Mike likes to work out in the evenings and in fact he called me last night on his way home from the pool and I was getting Emma chocolate milk for bedtime.  Mike still puts in the work, just later on in the day.

Now as for me, I am neither.  I don't work out consistently no matter what time of day or night it is.  I keep telling myself that basketball is almost over, just 2 more weeks.  Then I can focus on me.  I also have to write a dossier for work during the month of February.  Well I guess excuses can be found whenever you need one.  And truth is that there are no excuses, you just do or you don't.  I need a little more do in my life right now.

I'll make another post this evening on how the day finally ended up.  Peace.    

3 comments:

505Live.com said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSDjVHFHbcQ

Tony said...

dude, get your ass in gear.. Let me be your role model. I train in sub freezing temps. I'm a real man. haha..but seriously I do train in sub freezing temps.

M-Dot said...

Steve, Look forward to training with you before the sun comes up. Kona is only 9 months away!
Napier