Saturday, May 02, 2009

Goodbye to coaching......for a little while!

I started coaching a sport last year in August. That sport was cross country and it was the first year Socorro has ever had a full-fledged varsity team. I had expressed interest in starting a CC team but I honestly knew nothing about it besides that it was running, plus I had not been met with much support from the administrative powers that be. In the meantime, I committed to coaching middle school basketball and track & field like I did the previous year.

Well, CC did happen and that meant I would start coaching duties in August instead of November. Looking back, CC has been the very best team I have ever been involved with as a player or coach. The kids that came out were awesome and I truly enjoyed watching them get better and better as the season went along. We were able to qualify our only 2 girls and 1 of our boys for the state championships and I know making it there as 2 teams this season will be our goal. We are not losing any of our boys and I am counting on even more kids coming out this summer and I can start to see that Socorro CC will be a successful program.

Cross ended on a Saturday and basketball tryouts were that Monday. I grew up playing basketball and although I was not the best at it, I really did give the most effort to this sport. That being said, I didn't touch a basketball for many years after graduation because I was left with some ill feelings about team sports in general. I didn't start playing again until I was teaching in Las Cruces and some teachers would get together every Thursday and "play" in the school gym and it was a lot of fun. This past season however, reminded me more of my high school team than it did playing with friends. Needless to say, I turned in my resignation as basketball coach. Basketball kids and CC kids are 2 different breeds.

There was a 2 or 3 week break between basketball and track but it was gone in a flash. I even started it a week early because so many kids were looking forward to it. We began in February and just finished this past Thursday. We had a very successful year and our 8th grade girls finished a perfect season, beating much larger schools in the process. Our 8th grade boys placed first twice, second and third. They too could have had a perfect season had it not been for some poor choices and behavior that kept kids from joining us on meets. You can read about the team here

I guess my triathlon training can be more consistent now.  I have had great weekends and the early part of the week but I wasn't getting too much done on Thursdays and Fridays because of track meets.  Yesterday I even started my season "officially" by entering some races.  The races I plan on racing are listed on the right over there ---->

All training and no racing is no fun so it was about time I drop some money and get into a race.




No comments: