Thursday, April 15, 2010


WOW!  I just got a late birthday present from the Ironman Hawaii Lottery...  I won a coveted entry spot for the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii in October 2010!  I have been a triathlete for 15 years and Hawaii has been a dream of mine the whole time.  When I was in college I tried to qualify but it just always eluded me.  Once at a qualifying race in hawaii I placed 2nd in the 20-24 age group but there was only one slot up for grabs in that age group so I didn't get in.  I have been to the race twice to watch my big brother, Mike, race it.  Since marriage and family, triathlon has remained a part of my life but the focus of qualifying has kind of faded.  Well, now I'm going!  I can't wait for everything, even the training!  Maybe the six-pack will come back!  I look forward to involving my kids at school somehow and being an inspiration to some of them, who knows?  Emma is going to have a blast!  Lindsey and I are going to have a blast!  So if want an excuse to go to Hawaii let's go!

More info can be found here: http://www.ironman.com/
And here is my name on the list: lottery results
And last but not least, I have created an Ironman Diary

4 comments:

Dawn Hudson said...

Steven that's amazing!! I am sure you are on cloud nine!! CONGRATS

Lindz~Keep me in the loop with all your details and maybe I can catch a hop out that way. You never know it could happen. There are planes that head there from here so it would be based on lucky but like I said it could happen.

Tony said...

Great News Steven. Wish you the best. I wish I was able to train with you just for fun bro!! Maybe I'll see you in August.

mediumtriguy said...

Congrats! I went to the Kona site to see if any NM people won, and looks like you did! Do the state proud.

Steven Montoya said...

Thanks for the positive comments! Check out my new blog that I'll update daily.