Friday, April 02, 2010

Great Friday

Yeah I know that for all christians today is known as Good Friday, but so far mine has been a great Friday.  Many people walk the pilgrimage from the catholic church in Socorro to the catholic church in Polvadera, north of Socorro by about 10.5 miles.  For me, this pilgrimage is a time that I can reflect on my faith and say "thank you" for another year of good health and family.  It gives me a time to remember my dad, who I know would have been out there with some water or gatorade for me if he were here.  I always keep him in my thoughts on this day.

Good Friday is also a good way to get the community together and doing something good.  For the past 3 years I have invited and encouraged school kids to do the run with me and this year was no different.  This year I had 6 kids complete the run with Lindsey and myself.  For all but one of those kids it was their first time and I know they were very proud of themselves for accomplishing such a long run.  I truly love it when a kid does something they thought was impossible not long ago.  I just love being a part of that, it's huge for them.

Lindsey left about 10 minutes ahead of me with 2 kids that were thinking the run might take them a little longer.  One freshmen girl carried pictures of two of her cousins that are suffering through difficult medical conditions.  At first she was very hesitant to run the distance and was going to walk it instead with some relatives but she decided last night to go ahead and run it.  She did so good and when we got there she took out those pictures and and had some tears for them.  I know finishing that run meant quite a bit for her.

The boy who left with Lindsey is also a freshmen.  I met him this year when he came out for XC.  He didn't make varsity but ran and had a great attitude.  Now he is out for track and I have noticed that he is challenging himself more and more lately.  Often he opts for the longer and more difficult runs that the faster boys do and although he falls behind, he is always there, getting the work done.  When he finished today I don't think he stopped smiling and just beaming with pride.  He said he couldn't wait to eat and sleep.  I have never pushed him, just encouraged him and made it fun and now he is pushing himself just fine.

The boy who has run every one of these with me since his 8th grade year also ran today.  We were talking and we think our time has gone down by 20 since the first time we did it, although it is not at all a race.  He has really become a great runner and still has a couple of more years of high school to go.  I look forward to seeing all the things he will accomplish by the time he graduates.  He is such a great kid and I am very proud of him.  I can see the two of us doing this run together for many years to come.

And last but certainly not least, of everyone I saw and ran with, no person put a smile on my face any bigger than the one I had when I saw Lindsey.  Like I said, she started about 10 minutes ahead of me and I almost kind of forgot she was out there but when I saw her I just felt so happy and comfortable.  I picked up the pace to try and catch her by the finish but I didn't know she saw me and did the same thing.  I am very proud of her for running and for being a part of the kids I coach.  I love that she cares for these kids too.  We talk a lot about the difficulties of living in Socorro and teaching and raising kids here and we agree on many values and I love her for those values and her energy to make them a priority.

I hope you all have a great day and Easter weekend.  

  

2 comments:

Brian Borchers said...

Great posting Steve! Are you guys planning to do the Owl Bar run again this spring (It's Friday April 9.) Sadly, I'm not quite ready for 13 miles yet...

Unknown said...

Steve, I've been reading up on you on your blog lately. I'm glad to see everything going so well! You guys are an inspiration.

Steve Collis